Friday 27 September 2013

Starter Makeup

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well! I'm almost a week into university now and loving it, but freshers has meant that I haven't being focusing on blogging at all due to so much going on. I planned to do this post a while ago when it was my sister's birthday. She has just turned 17 and has never really wore make-up until now. She wanted me to get her some make-up bits for her birthday so it got me thinking about what cheap and cheerful make-up would be good for beginners. I've tried a fair few products in my time and these are the ones from the 'drugstore' that I think work really well for beginners both in terms of value for money and ease to apply.


Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation
This remains the cult 'drugstore' foundation of the moment as it gives an amazing finish at a great price of £8.99. It's not too dewy and not too matte and is great for covering blemishes. 


Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer
Again, another cult product which every blogger and their fishes wear! It covers spots and blemishes so well, although I would say it may be too thick for some peoples undereyes. 

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
This is my favourite powder of all time! It puts my shine at bay all day and isn't too heavy nor too light; it's the perfect in between. 

Ecotools domed bronzer brush
When finding a brush for my sister, I wanted a multi purpose one that she could use for either powder, bronzer or blusher. This one from Eco tools looked lovely and I would use it for either purposes mentioned before. It was £9.99 which isn't too expensive if you compare it to MAC brushes, but I am aware that you can get one for cheaper. However, I think the brushes you can get for £3ish aren't as good quality and won't last as long. Therefore these brushes, as well as the Real Techniques brushes, are a good investment to make.

Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzing Powder
I am in love with this bronzer and I find it to be the nicest one I have ever used from either Boots or  Superdrug. It was £6.99 which is great for it's quality and I highly recommend it over any from Rimmel or Sleek (although the Sleek contouring kit is great!)

Natural Collection blushers
These blushers are either love or hate. Some people find them too chalky but I love it as the pigmentation is incredible and for £1.99 that is just... the best value blush ever! The one I bought my sister was the shade 'Peach Melba' which I have and love as it brightens my face up instantly. They do about 6 shades so you'll still lov them even if peach isn't your shade.

Rimmel Scandaleyes Mascara
This mascara was on an introductory offer of £5 (sorry sis ;) ) so I thought I'd pick this one up for her. I've seen it on her eyes and it looks really nice and gives both length and volume. My favourite one of all time is L'Oreal's telescopic or volume million lashes but they can be quite pricey at £12.

MUA Power Pouts
Finally I wanted to get her a lip product, but not one that was too overpowering e.g a matte red lipstick. The MUA Power Pouts are glossy and reasonably pigmented without being too 'in your face'. I got her a pink/red shade that she could dab on lightly throughout the day or pile on if a more fancy occasion arised. Overall, I love this product and at £3, you cant go wrong!

So there is my overview of the products I picked out for my sister that would be perfect for beginners in make-up. None of the products are too expensive and they are truly brilliant. Let me know if you have any of these products and what you think of them!





SHARE:

6 comments

  1. This was so helpful, thank you!

    CharlotteHavs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post for starter makeup - and very affordable too.
    I am such a big fan of the Collection 2000 concealer and will always continue to buy it!

    Rachel x Joy-and.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post! Such a good idea. I've heard some great things about the wake me up foundation, I'd say high street brands like Rimmel and Collection are great starting points!

    http://www.ragsoflove.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post - I like it a lot!!Btw I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award - http://redpolishorbadpolish.blogspot.com/2013/10/liebster-blog-award.html
    Hope you enjoy it:)))

    ReplyDelete

© wellnessalice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig